The high entry with a very modest amount of absentees at the annual Championship Club Show of the Northern Bullmastiff Club held at the 15th of November gave me a good impression of what the breed in its home country has to offer at the moment. I am sure I am not the first one who has to give the message that the overall quality was a bit disappointing, to say the least. In-depth quality I only noted in Limit and Open Bitch, the first mentioned gave me the most work and pleasure. In the majority of the other classes there were some nice Bullmastiffs, for sure, but not more than less than a couple, making judging not that difficult. The most worrying observation is an enormous variation in type, as I have never experienced before – not in any country outside Great Britain, not in your country itself during a period of close to thirty years that I follow the breed. The quality of the eventual winners was as such that they could compete at the highest level anywhere.
Veteran Dog (3, 2 abs)
Minor Puppy Dog (8, 0 abs)
- Saunders’- Multi Ch Ferdu RostarQuality dog in a superb condition for his age and he enjoyed every minute in the ring. His eyes showed clearly why I love to judge Bullmastiffs; he enjoys life to the full. In other words, this very first dog I had to judge put me in the right mood… having fun taking very seriously. Slightly longer bodied, but otherwise excellent constructed, nicely balanced male. Short-muzzled head with dark expressive eye, excellent stop, wrinkle and ear. Well angulated, clean and solid front, clean strong neck of the right length, very good bone, excellent feet, nice ribs, back and loins, excellent tail set and carriage, plenty of angulation behind. Very impressive on the move still, as I said already, with so much sparkle and joy. Best Veteran.
Puppy Dog (6, 4 abs)
- Oliver’s - Nashbank VictoriousBig boy, full of quality, very nicely balanced dog, all he has to do is filling out. Strong puppy head with lovely expression of eye. Massive bone, angulation front and behind balanced, excellent ribs, back, loins and tail set. Best mover in the class easily. Best Puppy in Show.
- McGroarty’s - Nashbank O My Gosh Ardhub.Masculine puppy of standard size. Strong headpiece, excellent in all parts, lovely expression. Solid body, clean front with nice bone, excellent ribs, well made behind. Could do with a more economic movement and a longer stride, especially in front.
- Stockman’s - Arrancraig The Bruce at Trebrad
- McGroarty’- Trebrad Red Screes Of Ardhub
- Evans' - Waydell Whopper
Junior Dog (8, 1 abs)
- Lowden’s - Sundabish ValentinoWell-developed puppy of nice type. Square skull with excellent ears and textbook wrinkling, dark expressive eye, short muzzle
which needs to fill out still. Broad set sufficient angulated front, not finished in body
yet I hope, plenty of angulation behind. Movement very puppy like still.
- Evans’ - Waydell WhopperHe got a VHC in the former class. Every inch a puppy still when standing and on the move, sufficient masculine. Short muzzled head
with excellent wrinkles and ears. Excellent quality of muscles throughout.
Yearling Dog (5, 2 abs)
- McGroarty’s - Ardhub Here Comes TrubbleMasculine clean cut dog of
standard size. Strong headpiece with excellent skull shape, cheek, wrinkle and ear, muzzle should not be any shorter. Sufficiently angulated clean front, nice ribs, bone and feet, tail set rather low. Balanced mover.
- Owen’s - Jbzee Cocco Rocks. Honest masculine dog, who could be shorter coupled and more dry though. Masculine head with lovely cheek, eye and deep short muzzle. Clean well angulated front, excellent top and under line, tail set and angulation behind. Honest mover, but could do with a bit more sparkle.
- Bampton & Miss R Doyle’s - Walk By Night Sampson for Bullcliray
- Gunn's - Bullproof Bertie By Flintstock
- O'Neil's - Ruaniall One Minute Warning
Post Graduate Dog (10, 2 abs)
- Thomas’- Melcassics Blazing Gold for Phoria Standard-sized sufficient masculine dog, still very puppy like. Nice skull shape and stop, short but rather weak muzzle, would prefer a smaller eye. Sufficient angulated front, nice ribs, tail set rather low, needs more bone. Moves with drive and a surprisingly long stride.
- Gomersall’s - Taurleone LuminosoTrue athlete, clean-cut throughout, sufficient masculine, could do with more substance and bone. Sufficient strong head.
Excellent ribs, back, loins, rather straight in front well made behind. Moves with plenty of drive.
- Elmore’s - Remmus Paddy Boy
Limit Dog (11, 2 abs)
- Lewis’ - Optimus BrutusMassive short-coupled dog of excellent type, very masculine. Impressive headpiece, excellent in all parts. Extra solid front, excellent
bone, ribs, top and underline, well angulated behind, shortened tail due to an accident (KC letter). Balanced mover with decent drive and length of stride.
- Sharples’ - Fowlerheight Sucumbios Middle sized clean-cut balanced dog of nice type, sufficient masculine. Strong head (compared to his body), excellent
skull shape, stop and cheeks, well shaped sufficient dark eye, could do with more width under the eye. Excellent top and underline, well-constructed clean front, a bit straight behind when standing. Balanced mover with surprisingly strong knee action.
- Forsythe’s - Alwencourt Just William of Findhorn
- Thomas’- Melcassics Blazing Gold for Phoria
- Wrightson's - Fowlerheight Catanduvas
Open Dog (11, 2 abs)
- Thomson’s - Ardhub Mackenzie for BraeaaronClean cut masculine shortcoupled dog. Excellent skull shape, wrinkle, stop and eye, short deep muzzle, but could do with more work under the eye. Angulation front and behind balanced, very good bone, a bit loose in front, nice spring of rib, textbook tail set, well muscled throughout. Typical movement with drive and nice length of stride.
- Bown & Wilfort’s - Sundabish KenzoBig boy, masculine, plenty of quality but could be shorter coupled. Strong headpiece, excellent skull shape and stop, deep
muzzle of decent width. Excellent bone, neck, withers and back, loins could do with more strength, well angulated front and hindquarters. Moves with an impressive length of stride and plenty of drive, but also a bit loose overall.
- Johnson & McArdle’s - Rosco’s Diamond Boss of Luconevar
- Curran & Stewart's - Tartuffe Tegene
- Lomax's - Northingales Tornado
Special Brindle Dog (6, 2 abs)
- Mcleod’s - Ferdhu Im Your Man at ArrancraigBig boy, impressive
type, very masculine, breathtaking silhouette, plenty of substance and still clean. Massive head with excellent skull shape, stop, cheek and ear. Very dark eye full of expression, short deep muzzle of decent width. Massive well shaped and carried neck, strong bone, broad deep clean front, deep far reaching rib with excellent spring, short powerful loin, angulation front and behind balanced, well muscled throughout,
excellent condition. Balanced mover with nice length of stride. Dog CC and Best in
- Jones’ - Ch Jaynos Big Bopper JWBig boy, quality dog, very masculine, excellent constructed and very strongly put together, but slightly longer in body and not finished in depth yet. Very strong headpiece, excellent in all parts. Extra strong bone with superb feet, well angulated front and hind quarters, excellent top line and tail set, superb quality of muscles and condition. Balanced mover with decent length of stride and drive. Reserve Dog CC.
- Fossett’s - Wyburn Xceptional
- McDougal's - Ch King Of Scalebor At Garmondsway
- Williams' - Betalex Action Hero
Veteran Bitch (4, 2 abs)
- Jones’ - Ch Jaynos Big Bopper JW2nd in Open Dog
- Fossett’s - Wyburn XceptionalMiddle sized masculine dog of excellent type and plenty of quality, slightly longer build. Massive headpiece, square skull shape with excellent cheek and stop, superb muzzle, typical shaped eye full of personality. Clean solid front with excellent neck, nice bone and strong feet, angulation front and behind balanced, excellent top line and tail set, sufficient spring of rib, excellent condition. Balanced mover but could do with more sparkle.
- Wrightson's - Fowlerheight Catanduvas
- Wight's - Burmadream Mandalay Legend
Minor Puppy Bitch (6, 1 abs)
- Baines’ - Bigan BeautifulFeminine bitch, nice type, plenty of cleancut substance. Feminine head with a lovely small dark eye, small well-carried ear,
nice wrinkle, decent stop, short sufficient deep muzzle. Superb front and ribs, excellent top line and angulation behind, sufficient bone. Movement starts to show her age, but still easy going.
- Thomson’s - Ferdhu Heavenleigh for BraeaaronTruly feminine and very athletic, clean cut throughout with decent substance. Sufficient strong head, nice balance between skull and muzzle, decent stop, expression affected by a rather large and round eye. Excellent ribs, back and loins, rather light in bone. Excellent mover not showing her age at all.
Puppy Bitch (1, 0 abs)
- Stockman’s - Trebrad CatstycamLovely puppy, truly feminine with plenty of substance. Excellent headpiece already, square from all angles. Lovely bone, fore chest and ribs, strong feet, excellent angulated hindquarters with broad hams, top line has to strengthen. Moves well behind, has to tighten in front.
- McLeod's - Arrancraig Almost AmberBig girl, clean cut hard muscled athlete. Just sufficient strong head, lovely wrinkle and superb shaped dark eye. Nice bone, decent ribs, angulation front and behind balanced, superb muscled hindquarters. Moves with plenty of drive.
- Downs’ - Arrancraig Double Trouble
- Burgin's - Jessiemai - Solana
- Elmore's - Stoneside Precious One
Junior Bitch (8, 2 abs)
- Myers & Hodgkinson’s - Optimus ScarletTruly feminine, clean-cut, quality bitch. Nice skull shape, stop and wrinkle, dark but a bit large eye, very short muzzle which could do with more work under the eye. Clean front, angulation front and behind balanced, superb top line. Balanced mover with a sufficient length of stride.
Yearling Bitch (8, 3 abs)
- Wilson’s - Jaarmoel Soul Diva for UrbandreamTruly feminine nicely bodied bitch. Nice skull shape, excellent cheek, dark expressive eye, impressive depth of muzzle but needs more work under the eye. Angulation front and behind balanced, bone ok, well made body throughout, excellent condition. Easy going and sound mover.
- Gunn’s - Bullproof Bertha by FlintstockTruly feminine short headed bitch. Lovely skull shape and stop, expressive eye and wrinkle, nice ear, sufficient deep muzzle. Bone ok, nice shoulder placement, upper arm a bit loose and upright placed, decent ribs, strong back and loins, would prefer a higher tail set. Moves easily with drive and nice length of stride.
- Garratt’s - Fowlerheigh Red River
- Bilson's - Jbzee Little Miss Mischief At Zobullea
- Brampton & Doyle's - Laneberns Lovestruck For Bullcliray
Post Grad Bitch (12, 2 abs)
- Latter’s - Stoneglad Songbird of BunsoroBigger girl, still a bit immature looking, but full of quality and plenty of type, clean-cut strength throughout. Strong typical head with lovely expression of eye and wrinkle, excellent balance between skull and muzzle. Nice bone and feet, angulation front and behind balanced,
excellent top and underline. Easygoing movement with a surprising long stride.
- Meredith’s - Bullmeredith Guess WhoTruly feminine bitch, very nicely proportioned, close to a finished picture already. Nice skull shape, ear and eye, short sufficient deep and wide muzzle. Angulation front and behind balanced, nice ribs, tail set a bit low, excellent underline, top line ok. Moves well.
- Gunn’s - Coxellot Started With A Kiss from Flintstock.
- Rostron's - Graecia It Could Be Majic
- Richards & Crawford's - Shadowguard Venus
Limit Bitch (17, 3 abs)
- Jones’ - Talbadan Wotch Me Now at QuaybullStrong but feminine bitch with plenty of substance. Impressive headpiece, square skull, superb muzzle, expressive eye. Nice bone, plenty of rib, broad set sufficient clean front, excellent top line, sufficient typical underline, broad set well angulated hindquarters. Moves with a
surprising length of stride.
- Montagu’s - Jenmore Sweetheart of GamewatchExcellent bodied bitch, who with her six and a half years could show a thing or two to her younger competitors about clean cut substance and strength. Nice skull shape and cheek, excellent ear, dark but a bit large and round eye, sufficient blunt muzzle. Well made throughout, condition a bit rich. Honest and true mover.
- Brown’s - Talbadan Copper Top at Zanshin
- Alderson's - Aralders Margarite D'Esh
Open Bitch (14, 0 abs)
- Oglivie’s - Tazamo Rumour Has ItImpressive feminine bitch with plenty of substance and strength, beautifully constructed in a slightly longer package. Strong headpiece with the flattest of skull, excellent ear and wrinkle, decent stop and dark sufficient clean eye, deep muzzle with decent filling. Front solid as a rock,
excellent bone, feet, fore chest, ribs, top and underline, textbook tail set and broad first and second thigh, excellent condition. Balanced easy-going movement with decent length of stride. Reserve CC.
- Latter’s - Stoneglad SolitaireAnother impressive bitch with a lot to offer in type and substance. Very strong head, muzzle is all jaw, lovely eye, wrinkle and ear. Very strong bone, sufficient angulation front and behind but balanced, plenty of rib, would prefer a higher tail set. Moves with a surprisingly long stride.
- McGroarty’s - Braeaaron What A Sweet Ardhub
- Ferguson & Brett's - Ferdhu Miss Inform
- Oliver's - Chalfs Red Hot Romance At Nashbank
Special Brindle Bitch (5, 3 abs)
- Johnstone’s - Betalex Assett To BettyQuality bitch of lovely type, impressive combination of strength and femininity, compact build. Extra strong head, excellent in all parts with a lovely expression. Excellent bone, strong feet, deep and broad set front, nice ribs, excellent loins and underline, angulation front and behind balanced, excellent condition. Balanced mover with a nice length of stride. CC, Best Opposite Sex and Reserve Best in Show.
- Denby’s - Ch Rosco’s Chick JWTruly feminine bitch of a less impressive size, maximum of substance. Well developed head, excellent skull shape, stop and ear, could do with more wrinkle and a smaller, deeper set eye, nice depth of muzzle with sufficient filling. Clean broad deep front with excellent fore chest, superb rib, excellent back and loins, sufficient high tail set, nice underline but she could show a bit more daylight. Easy going free mover.
- Thomas’ - Sundabish Gloria
- Slater's - Chalfs Miss Macy
- Thomas' - Ch Dajoxx Ticketyboo At Heriol JW Sh.CM
- Ogden & Lilley’s - Wyburn VeldaNicely bodied bitch with plenty of substance for her size, ‘helped’ by a bit too much ‘show’ condition. Decent development of head, nice skull shape, ear carriage a bit untidy, nice stop and eye, sufficient typical muzzle. Excellent top and underline, nice ribs, angulation front and behind balanced, sufficient bone, pasterns and feet need to tighten. Movement ok.
- Bruce’s - Bullmeredith KaleidoscopeTall girl of hardly sufficient type, very immature looking still. Just sufficient development of head, nice dark eye and ear carriage. Rather light in bone, dry hard muscled throughout, top and underline not typical for the breed. Balanced mover.