I would like to thank the Northern Bullmastiff club for allowing me the honour of judging at their show, the exhibitors for their support and entries and my two co-stewards Roy Baker and Mike Vincent who made my task so easy by ensuring the day ran smoothly. Bullmastiffs are a working breed and in being so need to be capable of doing the task they were bred for, I am also of the opinion that the head piece is a very important part of the bullmastiff as this without doubt gives you the essence of type and without type you don’t have a breed. Therefore today my priority was type and soundness. Temperaments were sound throughout.
Minor Puppy Dog (2, 0 abs)
Puppy Dog (No Entries)
- Warren & Singleton's Copperfield Mallet9 months old fawn male of good type. Correct proportions in head, a good dark eye and keen expression, dentition was good. This young lad is still at that rangy stage in body but well up to size. Lovely reach of neck, a little upright in shoulder and chest needs to drop, good ribcage and wide loin. He has a firm topline, good angles to rear but a little croupy at this stage. He stands on solid bone and round tight feet. Kept a good topline on the move his side gait was excellent with good drive from behind, going away was parallel but coming on he paddled. Hopefully this will improve as he tightens and matures. Pleased to award him BPD.
- Worthington's - Gyproc Gechi9 month red dog, from a much smaller mould than 1. Pleasing head, eye and expression, ear size and placement were spot on. Correct moderate front and hind angulations, he stood 10 to 2 in front but this should improve with development, short back with correct topline, just enough ribcage. Excellent mover if a little loose at this stage.
Junior Dog (4, 2 abs)
Novice Dog (No Entries)
- Myers' - Old Manilla’s Whiskey Mac for Optimus14 month old clear fawn dog. He had the required substance and solid round bone I was looking for. Super head with correct proportions, good width of muzzle and plenty of pigment, nice open nostrils but I would prefer better dentition. Shapely, well muscled neck leading to a moderate shoulder, excellent spring of rib and correct short wide loin. Depth of brisket was good. Strong topline falling away a little too steeply in croup. Well angulated stifle and well developed second thigh. A well muscled male, which really showed when he moved showing his athleticism and power. He had enough reach at the front and strong drive from the back giving a sound easy action that I have no doubt he could have kept up all day. It was a pleasure to go over him he pushed the BD all the way. Pleased to award him RBD.
- Burgin’s - Jessiemai Wot A Kuffufle 13 month red male. A larger frame than 1. Great substance throughout, without any coarseness. Head was strong and very handsome but I would prefer wider nostrils. Neck was strong and thick, his outline is clean and balanced with correct moderate angles back and front, good muscle tone, tail set ok but tail could be longer, topline firm. Unfortunately he did not make the best of himself on the move making it hard work for his handler. He scored in maturity but lost out on his attitude today.
Post Graduate Dog (3, 2 abs)
Limit Dog (6, 1 abs)
- Crawshaw’s - Medjezelbab Noble SoulEye catching 2 and a half year old brindle male. Top sized boy with a beautiful stripey jacket and strong bone. Loved him for type. His head was so correct well proportioned and had a good dark mask and ears. Strong muscular neck leading to well placed shoulders and good depth and width of chest. Strong topline and well set stern standing on well rounded feet if a little easty- westy on the front, strong loin and textbook hindquarters. On the move he reached at the front but there was no drive from behind so didn’t give the sense of purpose I was looking for, he moved true coming on but single tracked going away.
Open Dog (3, 1 abs)
- Alderson’s - Aralders Elderado2 year old deep red male, he had the whole package for me. Medium height with exactly the right amount of good strong, round bone and substance that was made up of the perfect amount of muscle. His head is strong and square from all angles though I would like a little more width of muzzle just under the eyes for perfection. Excellent bite with the correct, square underjaw and wide flaring nostrils I was looking for. He was in hard physical condition! His neck was strong and arched leading to the best laid shoulders and correct length of upper arm, he stood over sufficient ground to give him the square appearance I was looking for. A ramrod topline, correct croup and tailset and parallel short hocks. To be hypercritical I would prefer a straighter front as he tends to stand with one foot turned out, but as far as I was concerned this was a minor flaw. He was as sound as a pound, covering the ground with a free and easy gait. Pleased to award him BD & BIS.
- Brewer’s - Ardhub Under Red Sky3 year old red male, not quite the substance of 1. Square handsome head with enough pigment, good dentition, correct sized well set ears and brown eyes. His neck was strong and just long enough leading to moderately sloping shoulders and a balanced body with a firm topline. Matching moderate angles at the rear with an ok tailset. He stood four square on feet that could be a tad tighter. Well muscled throughout he moved with sure footed strides giving the correct reach and drive we look for in this breed. Unlucky to come up against 1 and pushed the reserve best dog all the way.
- Simpson’s - Pleats Apollo Son3 years 3 months deep red male, top sized with plenty of good strong bone and substance. His head is his crowning glory he has everything I am looking for, good width to skull and correct width and depth to muzzle ratios, enough wrinkle and pigment, good eye that gave him the kindest of expressions. He was a little on the lean side today but still standing four square on solid bone and perfect cat like feet, he had the look of an athlete. His neck is long and arched and he used it to his advantage, shoulders are a tad upright but otherwise he has an excellent front. He may be a little long in loin for some but I feel he can carry it as he is a tall boy. Tail set is good, all in all a very nice package. Unfortunately today he was not sound on the move.
- Aston & Furber's - Eternalpride Gucci Envy Carminway
- Lynch's - Lynchspride Maximus Mateo
Veteran Dog (2, 2 abs)
- Kozel’s - Safety of Flatland Phoenix2 years 2 months fawn male. Good sized male with just enough bone and substance. Attractive male with a lot to admire. Head was correct in proportions, he had just enough width to length, excellent pigment and good dentition. He had a good neck that led to moderately laid back shoulders, I would prefer tighter elbows. His topline was strong, he was well let down in brisket and tail set was ok. When he moved away he was ok but coming on he toed in quite badly
- MacDougal’s - Garmondsway BarocoNo age given . Red male of good size and substance. Attractive enough in head with good pigment and well set small ears, his muzzle had width and depth and was blunt to the end, cheeks were well filled but head shape was a little rounded for me, his dentition was incorrect. His neck and shoulder placement was good if a little short in upper arm. Back was short and level but tail set was a little low. Stifle angles were good and he had a good second thigh. He moved erratically at first but settled into his stride giving ok movement.
Special Brindle Dog (2, 2 abs)
Minor Puppy Bitch (1, 0 abs)
Puppy Bitch (5, 2 abs)
- Down’s - Trebrad Absolutely7 month old red bitch, Pretty headed girl who was a little over whelmed in the ring. Her head proportions are good, her stop needs to develop, dentition is ok and her expression is sweet. Her body is still raw still at that ‘all legs’ stage. Enough bone, a little upright in shoulder, strong topline, hind angles were good and tail set ok. She was a little unsteady on the move but settled to give a nice gait with no looseness at all.
Junior Bitch (5, 2 abs)
- Warren & Singleton’s Optimus Alicia of Copperfield10 month old brindle bitch. Delightful puppy who shows herself like a little pro. Pretty feminine head with plenty of width and depth, dark eyes and small high set ears all adding to her beautiful expression. She has a very smart outline for one so young, only a tad bum high giving a correct sharp outline. A little upright in shoulder, well arched neck and a good straight front with well let down chest. Her back is short, her loin is wide and her tail set is ok. Rear angulations are good and she stands four square on good tight feet. She moved with a sure footed gait, and no looseness at all, I would prefer a little more drive from behind and a little less white markings on her chest but overall she is splendid puppy with loads of potential. One to watch for the future. Pleased to award her BPIS.
- Aldcroft’s Fowlerheight Bakana 11 month old light red bitch. A mature puppy I thought she looked much older. It was a close decision between 1 and 2. A good head, well filled under the eyes, clean cut with good depth of muzzle, oodles of pigment with good dentition and a broad underjaw. Just enough reach of neck sitting on well-placed shoulders, sound front assembly but feet were 10 to 2 at this stage in her development. Strong topline but standing over slightly more ground than winner. On the move she expelled power from well-muscled hind quarters and pushed the winner hard.
- Morgan’s - Zobulleas Feisty Adele10 month red bitch , not the size of 2. Pretty headed bitch with lots to like. Head is developing well with quite a lot of wrinkle already, proportions are correct but she falls away slightly too much in muzzle so as not to give that square appearance I was looking for. She has fantastic pigment and beautiful eyes with small dark well shaped ears that she used to her advantage. Body is developing well and she has everything in the right place, she just needs to grow on now. Movement was difficult to assess as she was very unsettled, some ringcraft for her and her handler will help a lot
Novice Bitch (1, 1 abs)
- Warren & Singleton’s Optimus Alicia of CopperfieldWinner of puppy bitch
- Morgan’s - Kissy Lips12 month deep red bitch. Just out of puppy, this girl filled my eye when she came into the ring and was the one I would have liked to take home today. Beautiful, large, square head, everything so correct, width and depth , correct pigment, good dentition, wide under jaw and just the right amount of wrinkle. To be hypercritical her eyes were a little round. Just right in size and substance, powerful but feminine. Feet, pasterns and front assembly all correct, topline rising a little over her loin but this should settle when she finishes, rear angles and tail set spot on. All spoilt because she had no ring training, from what I could see she was as sound as a pound but it was so difficult to assess as she gave her handler a real hard time. Please take her to ringcraft and both of you learn together because from what I saw you have a really nice bitch who has lots of potential.
- Burgin’s - Jessiemai Causin a Kuffufle13 month red bitch, An old fashioned, classic bitch, well grown with a strong head, good pigment and lovely eye. Ears are small and well placed but she refuses to use them when it counts! She is well put together with matching angles back and front. A strong, compact, square body, topline a little soft, good width of thigh and second thigh. Tail could be longer. She moved well enough for her handler with a sound stride but lacks a little drive behind. I would prefer less white on her front.
Post Grad Bitch (1, 1 abs)
Limit Bitch (10, 0 abs)
Strongest class of the day
Open Bitch (2, 1 abs)
- Garratt’s - Medjezelbab Grandmas Girl at Marchmanor 2 years 4 months fawn bitch. Well up to size bitch with a most attractive head piece, correct proportions, dark almond eye, excellent depth of muzzle, neat ear carriage, dentition ok , I would prefer a little less flew. She had an adequate reach of neck, sound front assembly and stood four square on strong bone and tight feet. Topline was strong and firm, angles back and front were good and her tail set ok. I would perhaps prefer a clearer coat as there was still some smuttiness but this still could clear and ideally I would like to see her just a tad lighter in weight. She had terrific width of thigh, a second thigh to be proud of and really well-muscled hind quarters which assisted her on the move to cover ground easily and economically with a free and easy side gait holding a firm topline. Coming on was true but going away lacked a little drive. Pleased to award herBB and RBIS
- Spencer & Quantrills Licassa Princess Tia at Islekeeper2 years 1 month clear fawn medium sized bitch with just enough bone. Quality, classic head type with correct head proportions, dark eye of correct shape, correct depth of muzzle, ears a little large but well set. Compact body giving a square appearance that we look for in our breed. Strong neck leading to moderately laid shoulders and straight enough front. Back was short and she had a firm topline. Hind angulations matched front angles with good muscle definition to thighs. Unfortunately she refused to perform on the move, which cost her a place! When called back in for the challenge she was more willing to move and did so with a precise careful action in side gait, coming on she has a high kicking motion, going away was ok. I was pleased to award her RBB.
- Simpsons - Pleats Alice2 years 2 months deep red bitch. Good sized bitch. Her head is strong but feminine with perfect depth to width ratios, just enough pigment, good dentition, neat well set dark ears and beautiful eyes to complete the picture. An impressive young lady, scoring well for balance and overall picture. She had good angles fore and hind, a little short in upper arm but with a good straight front and good tight feet. A good depth of brisket and good forechest. Her back was short but topline a little soft. Today she was a little lean and lacked a little muscle definition. She moved with power and purpose with a lovely side gait, clean coming on if a little close going away.
- Aston & Furber's Hyerdunscar A Touch Of Class For Jajca (TAF)
Veteran Bitch (No Entries)
- Aston’s Baybull Apparatchik at Eternalpride22 month deep red bitch. Pretty girl with a decent head, I would prefer a squarer muzzle, great pigment with lovely eyes. When calm enough to bring them forward she possessed correctly placed dark, neat ears. Dentition was ok but would prefer a squarer underjaw. Her body was a joy to go over, rippling with muscle just like a prizefighter. This girl left you in no doubt that she was fit for purpose if ever you could teach her some self control! Strong neck flowing into sufficient layback of shoulder, deep brisket well tucked in elbows, excellent turn of stifle, sharp crisp outline. It was so difficult to assess her movement as she had so much enthusiasm she was very erratic on the move
Special Brindle Bitch (2, 1 abs)
- Elmore’s - Elmbullore Talula Daric Lady15 month brindle bitch. Well marked brindle with plenty of size and substance. A pretty Head piece that was slightly on the weak side, dark eye, good reach of neck would have preferred cleaner shoulders, and a straighter front. Square compact body, firm topline, strong muscular hindquarters which allowed her to move soundly with power and drive.