I was pleased to be invited to judge the Northern Bullmastiff Club show on August 14th
2011 and thoroughly enjoyed my day. Looking at the breed on the plus side I found pigmentation was good and white toe nails and light eyes virtually non existent.
Minor Puppy Dog (4, 0 abs)
On the negative side however I was disappointed in the number of mouths that were well undershot and incisors minute and lacking in uniformity.
To help give exhibitors and others an understanding of my judgment and preferences I would point out that I am a firm believer that the hind quarters are the engine of the working dog and judge accordingly.
Best in Show – Bown & Wilfort’s Sundabish Suzi Wong, Reserve Best in Show & Best Oposite Sex– Brewer’s Ardhub Under Red Sky, Best Puppy – Thomas’s Phoria’s Apollo
Puppy Dog (2, 1 abs)
- Thomas’ - Phoria’s HadesBrindle of good pigment, nice head. Standing on strong legs, nice spring of rib, holding his topline standing and on the move. Sound puppy.
- McLaughlan’s - Stoneglad Kravitz at MackardonRed, similar in type but hind quarters not quite developed yet to the stage of my no 1
- Rushton’s - Eternalpride Chaska
- Eustace’s - Knottingley Duke
Junior Dog (2, 0 abs)
- Thomas’ - Phoria’s ApolloMuch the same as my first in minor puppy, not surprising as it turns out they are out of the same litter. Slightly more advanced in head and
stronger neck just gave him the advantage. Best puppy dog & Best puppy in show.
Novice Dog (2, 2 abs)
- Richards & Crawford’s - Shadowguard’s HaloBrindle. Blackest of eyes, well set in strong head. Broad front and well matched hindquarters. Moved well. Reserve Best Dog
- Crawshaw’s - Medjezelbab Noble SoulAnother very dark brindle matching number 1 in most departments including movement. Coat in excellent condition, just needs more depth to loins.
Post Graduate Dog (7, 2 abs)
Limit Dog (3, 2 abs)
- Brewer’s - Ardhub Under Red SkyRed, good square skull and correct ear set, honest expression, not the darkest of eyes. Right amount of bone and hard muscle. Straight strong forelegs supporting & broad front & well placed shoulders. Good spring of rib &
hind quarters matching his front. Looks good from any Angle. Best Dog & Reserve Best
- Beal & Hodgson’s - Afon Taff Lad Red, another nice pattern just could not match number 1 for size & substance
- Bilson’s - Jbzee Add Some Spice From Zobullea
- Holness’ - Ricci Jacek
Open Dog (7, 3 abs)
- Lowden’s - Sundabish ValentinoFawn, square skull and matching muzzle. Dark eye, correct ears; broad front & straight legs, good depth to brisket. Nice overall picture
Veteran Dog (No Entries)
- Baines’ - Torreyabloom Northern LightLight fawn, very physical tall dog well up on pasterns. Good pigment, black eyes, a little undershot. Strong neck, good front, nice
spring of rib, short coupled, strong hindquarters.
- Bown & Wilfort’s - Sundabish KenzoRed, powerful head, neck, shoulders & forelegs, deep brisket and good rounded forechest, good spring of rib. Loins & hindquarters not quite matching the excellent front. Pity
- Fossett’s - Wyburn Xceptional
- Wight’s - Burmadream Mandalay Legend
Special Brindle Dog (4, 2 abs)
- No Entries
Minor Puppy Bitch (3, 1 abs)
- Richards & Crawford’s Shadowguard’s Halo.From junior class
- Fossett’s - Wyburn Xceptional. Nice dog but just did not seem to have the drive of 1.
Puppy Bitch (1, 0 abs)
- Thomas’ - Phoria’s Starry Eyed.Red, compact puppy. Good head, expression & pigment. Overall pattern good, should do well. Best Puppy Bitch
- McLaughlan’s - Stoneglad Teamo at MackardonBrindle, another nice puppy, bigger
than 1, a bit rangy at this point & loose in action. Plenty of time for her
Junior Bitch (5, 0 abs)
- Rushton’s - Eternalpride AriellaRed, nice outline, not the broadest of puppies, but that can change as she develops. Flying ears are somewhat spoiling the look of an otherwise good head
Novice Bitch (1, 0 abs)
- Spencer & Quantril’s Licassa Princess Tia at IslekeeperFawn, good head, strong black muzzle and dark eye. A little undershot but mouth otherwise good. Looks class
from both front & side views. Moved well and competed well in the challenge
- Aldcroft’s - Medjezabab Golden GirlBrindle, very dark, a blue print of litter brother who came second in junior dog
- Garratt’s - Medjezabab Grandmas Girl at Marchmanor
- Thomas’s - Phoria’s Zsa Zsa
Post Grad Bitch (3, 2 abs)
- Parke’s - Ricci Jelly Baby Brindle. Another dark brindle with good pigment. Fair front, good shoulders, nice turn of stifle. Gave her handler a torrid time.
Limit Bitch (3, 1 abs)
- Lewis’s - Moorbull Made to MeasureFawn, another with good pigmentation. Nice balance both stacked & on the move. Well filled chest, right depth to brisket, good
quarters front & rear. Would have preferred a bit stronger muzzle.
Open Bitch (7, 2 abs)
- Wilson’s - Jaarmoel Soul Diva for UrbandreamRed, well up to height, good head type, good reach of neck, good shoulder angulation, nice front, well up on pasterns, good turn of stifle. Just couldn’t hold topline (probably due to recent maternal duties) or would have improved her chances in the challenge
- Richards & Crawford’s - Shadowguard VenusRed; well put together, overall picture good. Moved well, not quite as big or muscular as one.
Veteran Bitch (2, 2 abs)
- Bown & Wilfort’s - Sundabish Suzi Wong.Fawn. Not the heaviest of bitches but a real powerhouse. Construction wise everything just fits. A square skull with ample muzzle and dark eyes with neat ears. Head leading on to a well arched neck set on shoulders of good angulation. Not too broard a front &well up on pasterns, good spring of rib. Hindquarters full of power & drive.Best Bitch & Best in Show
- Garratt’s - Fowlerheight Red River at MarchmanorRed. Another good specimen of the breed. Overall heavier in bone & substance than 1. Has the right balance in build
nothing overdone & nothing lacking. Reserve Best Bitch
- Holness’ - Kyrie Brindle Night at Ricci
- Baines' - Jessyjack Bodelicious Girl from Torreyabloom
Special Brindle Bitch (2, 0 abs)
- McLaughlan’s - Stoneglad Teamo at Mackardon. Second in MPB
- Bilson’s - Jbzee Little Miss Mischief at Zobullea Another brindle ensuring dark pigment, heavyset, proportions ok & moved ok. Just carrying a bit too much weight